The BioFIT Steering Committee is glad to announce the topics of the BioFIT 2018 preliminary conference programme:
PLENARY SESSION: Funds crossing borders: How far and how fast is the investment sector in Biotech globalising?
Globalisation of investment can be seen as traditionally geographically anchored, now investors tend to invest in more diversified areas. Where does the money come from? How far is this evolution towards more global funds going? How fast is it going in the investment community? Will it make the investors more risk taking, will it change the risk landscape? Isn’t there today an ill-balance between the geographical origin of the investment capacities and the areas where projects needing equity investment are teeming?
TRACK 1: Best practices in academia-industry R&D collaborations
- Patient organisations to join the pharma-biotech-academia trio: Is a fourth musketeer calling for a new way to manage alliances?
- Shared labs, shared brains and common knowledge.
- Open data as a new approach for the efficiency of innovation?
- Is the David and Goliath issue over? Successful academia-industry collaborations.
- Meet the newcomers: What are the big collaboration successes of digital health?
- How will the GDPR influence pharma collaborations with digital health companies?
- Artificial Intelligence to speed-up drug discovery: The revolutionary road to advance innovation.
- Cross-sectorial collaborations and licensing deals between animal and human health: Lessons learned from success stories
TRACK 2: Nurturing and licensing early-stage assets
- Under pressure: How does the urge to bring rare disease therapies create a new range of business models or collaborative models?
- Questioning TTOs financing models: Could their expected financial outcome bias the tech transfer process?
- How do academics fare in management functions? What are the main conflicts of interests that can arise from people holding dual positions, in the university and in the start-up?
- An overview of the recent joint initiatives to derisk academic-origin assets.
- What is the right balance between equity, royalties, collaborative research income for the academic institutions in the process of spinning out companies?
- What do TTOs want to ensure in the creation of a credible spinout opportunity?
TRACK 3: Bioentrepreneurs’ challenges at pre-seed, seed & Series A stages
- Are philanthropic and alternative sources of soft funding always a free lunch? Does the non-dilutive form create hidden dangers? What are the actual conditions and requirements of the emerging players at the initial stages of funding?
- Are immunotherapies a new investment Eldorado?
- Can 2018 deals help us decipher the 2019 investor’s wish list?
- Shaping your start-up for an industrial exit or an IPO: Are there choices to be done at the very initial stage?
- Agnostic or multi-sectorial investors, 100% healthcare funds or pure players in the biotech sector: Who is getting prominent in the early-stage financing rounds?